HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spine Questions
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Crowkilla
Fork Horn

Default Spine Questions

Can someone help me understand the importance of selecting an arrow shaft that is properly "spined" for your bow?I have heard folks talk about being under and over spined, but I have never truly understood what that means.

From what I understand, if yourshaftsare underspined your arrow will flex too much after it leaves the string, resulting in the arrow recovering later in the shot than it would have if itwas stiffer. On the other hand, if you are over spined, the arrow will not flex as it should to maintain a straight path to your target. Is my understanding even close to correct?

Another question, how can you be certain you have selected a shaft that is a proper spine stiffness for your bow? Is the shaft selection grid that is on the back of the box of arrows reliable and accurate? For example, I shoot a BT Guardian set at 70# with a 29" draw. I shoot 350 Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, total arrow weight with broadhead is right around400 grains. These arrows have performed beautifully for me, so I believe they have the right "spine" for my setup.

Anyway, just trying to get a better handle on this. Any guidance is much appreciated.