HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dream gun?????????
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 07:31 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: dream gun?????????

I don' t Judson, your the first smith that I have ever heard ever needing a 12lb rifle for hunting. Now in africa, how much driving did you do??? I guess with that truck gun, it will make no difference how much it wieghs in Africa. I am a big guy. And I feel very strong. And I took a 12lb PSS to Newfoundland last year. The guides said, " why do you need such a heavy rifle?" Said I just wanted to see how it would do. A 300RUM on moose. The fact of it is, you don' t need a 12lb gun to get 1/2 groups. And you don' t need 3K to get 1/2 groups either. If you do, then like alot of very well know gun smiths say, " your compensating for something that is not right" . You sound more like a shootist, than a hardcore hunter. Probably shooting off the bags 99% of the time. right? Nothing wrong with that. I love to shoot too. But bowhunt alot more than gunhunt. And have alot of heavy guns. This last 700, I went too far. I got a #6 contour kreieger. Just too much for its benefit. And yes, in 300RUM, it doesn' t kick hardly at all with this barrel. But hey, its long range target gun, so big deal. Last weekend, with 200gr matchkings and 94gr of H1000, it got 1" groups several times at 200 yards. But I feel I could have done the same with a lighter barrel.