HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hot Barrel?
Thread: Hot Barrel?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Dave R
Spike

Default RE: Hot Barrel?

Thanks Guys for your thoughts. I was really getting to like this rifle, specially since I got my first coyote with in last Feb!

That Savage has a floating barrel and its pillar bedded. I checked the tie down bolts when I cleaned the rifle & they were snug. THe scope rings were also very snug. THe scope is a Leupold & almost new.

The ammo was in the sun a while but it was in a tool bag and inside a plastic 50 round ammo case. I was shooting inside a cool barn, but it was warm outside.

The seating depths were pre determined based on working up the loads in winter. I think its about .015 short of the lands. One set of ammo was left over ie, not a second batch made up later. That ammo shot good before.

The only real variable I can think of was the temp. I plan to give this another try under different conditons.

One item I thought of - the barrel was near
( about 2" or less) from the barn window sill with the muzzle half way out. Due to the position of the bench rest this was my most comfortable position.. Could muzzle blast pressure reflecting from the sill have affected the barrel/ bullet as it exited the muzzle?

PS, what do you reccomend as a case lube for neck sizing only?

Thanks again.

dave