HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing a deer sucks
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field dressing a deer sucks

Man, I never even thought about whether I like to field dress a deer or not, I just do it and not think about it, it part of the experience. If Im gutting a deer that means I shot it so Im usually in a pretty good mood! I also like doinga check to see my shot placement on the internal organs. I always want to see it I took out the lungs, heart, etc. No better feeling while hunting than opening up a deer and seeing a nice clean heart shot, then I can tell I made a ethical shot.Plus, when its all said and done, I'll check the stomachto see what its been eating. I hunt on my dads friends property in Michigan and since he lets me hunt on his property and he upkeeps it, I always gut his deer for him, no questions asked. Plus I'll do my fathers as well, these men taught me a lot about deer hunting its the least I can do to repay them.

I will say one of my favorite things about introducing a new deer hunter to the sport is having them gut there first deer. Never to they think it will be that warm inside. I told my buddy, I'll give you all the advice I can and do my best for you to get a deer, but you have to gut it. When he got his first deer, the task of gutting it was priceless! He tried to gut it with 2 fingers for about 20 minutes, finally, when the diapram cutting came, he "manned up". I will never forget that experience and the laughs I had as I coached him how to do it.