HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So whats the deal here?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So whats the deal here?

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

My QAD threw fits for me this year to man. I don't know what the deal was. I took it off, and threw on my old Bodoodle Pro Lite and haven't had an issue since. I would almost try a new rest if you can change it out and shoot it without ruining hunting time. I'd almost bet something isn't working correctly there. If the bow is timed properly, tiller is on, and the centershot is on, either the rest is muffing the shot, or LOL...you're just plain screwing it up yourself !
I've used nothing but for the last four years (save one short stint on this bow with a Schaffer) and I've never had the first issue. The rest is dropping fine and locking down fine. No plastic on the forks and no marring on the vanes.

Did you shoot closer than 9 yards ? Like 6 feet or so? I may of mis read your statement about that...
Yes I did. I started at about 8 feet and gradually worked my way back. 9 yards happened to be the distance where I got a perfect hole everytime.... and of course from there on back.

I can't remember(as a right handed shooter) the last time I dealt with a bad tail-left tear in paper. If I did, it was usually something amiss in the cables causing cam lean.
I thought it was cam lean. Thats why I started monkeyin' with the way I held the bow. I could watch my hand torque the cams and make them lean, just by where my thumb was. But no matter how I twisted it..... I got the same result.

AND..check your nocks. I had a lighted nock 2 years ago that flat out wouldn't shoot for crap. I switched it out for an original easton nock, and walla.....back to normal. Never touched 'em again. In fact, I change nocks rather often. For indoor spot season, I shoot 3-4 nites a week, I'll junk them after 2 or 3 weeks and install new ones.
That is honestly what I'm thinking it might be. I left the bow at the shop, and I'm going to go in early tomorrow to mess with it some more. I think putting a regular X nock back in might be the first thing. But honestly, I thought more weight in the back of the arrow would give me a stiff arrow reaction.... I don't know. I do really like the lit nocks though... and I think it would be worth my while to find a way to get them to fly true.

The one thing that I did do a bit differently was crest my arrows really heavy.... I used a right fair bit of paint. And I didn't use any helical on my Twisters either... just a bit of right offset. I thought that might of had something to do with it too. I don't advocate using helical as a bandaid... but I normally do have a fair piece of it on my arrows.

But all in all, if you can walk it back somehow, and shoot some broadheads and get them to group, it's probably not a huge deal then. If that arrow is stabalized at 9 yards, and flying well after that..............how many deer do you shoot inside 9 yards ? Probably not as many as you do from 15-25 right ?
No, I don't shoot many inside 9 yards anymore. My average is about 12 yards. But of course when you have an arrow kicking a good 1.5-2" left, and you put a fixed blade head on it..... I don't even want to know whats going to happen. Moreover, if I don't get it straight, snotty arrow flight is going to be on my mind when I draw back on a deer.... rather than actually shooting the deer.