HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hot Barrel?
Thread: Hot Barrel?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Dave R
Spike

Default Hot Barrel?

Ok - this one has got me. Last yr. I worked up loads for my new Savage Mod 11 Accu Trigger .234 w/ Leupold bases/rings & a VXIII 4.4 X 14.

I came up w nice grouping 100 gr. Sierra Game Kings on top of 41gr. IMR 4350 - it was shooting about 3/4" groups. I also had a 70 gr. Sierra Blitz King group under 1" using 38.5 gr. IMR 4350 and w/ 37.5 Gr. H 414 . This is all background info.

the other day I shot the gun w/ the 70 gr. bullets and (as usual w/ this gun the first (clean barrel) round) was out. The 2 & 3 rounds were touching but then the 4th was like 1" to 1 1/2"+ away & I didn't pull the shot.

I went to sight it in for the 100 gr bullet loads and the gun was would throw two rounds touching then the 3rd a flyer. I couldn't sight it right because we'd shoot 2 rds, adjust windage, say 4 clicks left, then the next round was too far over or high.

The ammo is neck sized in fire-formed Win brass - hand primed, w/ individual weighed power charges - not sloppy work.

It was a warm day 75, with little wind and med humidity. I don't know, but my dad shot a few also and had the same result. It was cold when I previously worked up these loads. This day I did end up shooting about 18 rds and while I waited when I felt the barrel getting hot, I didn't follow any strick time frame. My last shot was after I walked away and came back 15 min later and the shot went high relative to previously fired rounds ?? I wasn't pulling these shots that much even on a bad day.

Could it be barrel heating causing my problem?? How much time should I wait to get a uniform group.