HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - do small rubs equal small bucks?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
crokit
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do small rubs equal small bucks?

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

We have footage of a spike rubbing a 6" tree under our stand last year.

Generally speaking, the big aggressive rubs are made by big aggressive deer. I didn't see these monster rubs up in Michigan because a "Big mature" buck wasn't living in any of the areas that I hunted.

I also personally believe that the larger the number of mature bucks in an area, the more agressive the sign. They just have more reason to be "pissed" and have a bit more rage pumping in their veins.

I believe bucks rub for multiple reasons. First, to leave a scent post. Second, to work agression out of their system (same thing we humans do at the gym by pumping iron), and building strong neck muscles that will be used when fighting. Third, to remove velvet (early in the season). And forth, because they have a rack on their heads and they need to do something with it (bordom). Why some bucks only rub small trees, while others rub large trees; is just dependent on the individual deer. They are all wired a little different just like humans!

Also, and IMHO, more importantly, the big rubs are, in my expierence, located in wind transition areas: places where the wind suddenly and consistently changes directions. These are areas where the wind tends to betray the deer, and the big bucks know where it occurs. The scent/activity they create at these rubs will attract deer to those areas and the big bucks will clock that spot from a distance, especially during the rut, watching the other deer's reaction to judge the safety, then move in