HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06?
Thread: 30-06?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 AM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-06?

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

i have a ruger m77 30-06 springfeild bolt action wood stock rifle. i went out and shot it this weekend to make sure it was sighted in and it was all over the place from about 60 yards. i also took my trusty .243 and it was extremely accurate. but the 30-06 was wayyyyyyyyy off. anyone else with this problem?
I dont want to sound like Im making any assumptions about your shooting but just to interject a possible alternative, to just having loose or bad scope, could you possibly have developed a flinch? I know I have at times w/ the heavier 30 cals like the 30 06, which is a huge step up in recoil from a 243. I would stick w/ light 150gr loads. Also get yourself a snap cap and do some dry firing to practice your trigger control.
Ive owned a couple of 77s and although they as solidly built rifles, their triggers are typically heavy w/ alot of creep(overtravel)a big help may be to have a trigger job done or get an ,easy drop in ,aftermarket trigger like rifle basix to lighten up your trigger pull which will tighten your groups aswell. Good luck!