HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ohio buck down...pics
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Pro-Line
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio buck down...pics

I was in the stand early, and had deer around me in the dark. They moved off before light. About 7:15 I heard one walking in and saw that it was a buck. He was raking some trees as he passed, putting on a show. Sware at me if you will, but I'm not a trophy hunter. This one appeared to be an older deer with a spread in the 17-18" range. I still couldn't get a good look at his rack, but I decided to shoot.

He finally gave me a 12yd quartering toward shot and I let fly. It looked good, but he acted funny. He jumped about 3' in the air upon the shot, wheeled around and stood there. He finally walked through the fence line into the cornfield...where I heard him go down. WOO HOO!

I waited about 20 minutes and climbed down. My arrow was covered in bubbly blood...so I turned toward the deer, which was about 30 yard away out of sight. Then all hell broke loose. The buck jumped up and screamed past me...and kept going through the entire wood lot. He never slowed down and had no signs of blood on the exit side. Trouble.

I walked to the corn field to see what his bed looked like...and he was laying there stone dead. I had jumped another buck.

These pictures aren't great...but he has sort of a double main bean on his left, with a crab-claw on that same side. 5 or 6pts on that side, 3 on the other. Not my biggest...but it was nice having my 4yr old there when I brought the deer in.