HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BBD - Big Buffalo Down!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 AM
CAelknuts
Fork Horn

Default RE: BBD - Big Buffalo Down!!!

There are other bison that are free ranging. He's almost certainly referring to a Yellowstone Park bison that came out the east side toward Cody. Wyoming F&G has a "wild bison priority list" that they maintain and when bison wander out of the park, they call someone to come hunt them. Most guys enjoy this hunt, and bison are wonderful table fare, but you probably wouldn't find this hunt to be to your liking.

There are a few other free ranging bison hunts out there, including the Custer State Park in South Dakota. Others are on some of the Indian Reservations, particularly in Montana like Fort Belknap and I think the Crow Reservation might have a few hunts as well. Most hunts are not considered free range, as they're not totally wild herds, even though the bison are wild. I hunted them on a 120,000 acre ranch in Montana, wasn't considered a free range hunt, even though that's one heck of a big chunk of country with almost no fences on it. Didn't matter, it tasted the same, and looked the same. It was interesting to do once, though I'd probably shoot one again just for the meat. I shotone and donatedpart of itto the Gallatin Valley Food Bank. I shot another a few months laterfor my own freezer, and then paid for anotherthat I had the ranch shoot and donated it to the Madison Valley Food Bank. They weren't very expensiveand it seemed like a good thing to do at the time.