Thread: Gimicks
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:59 AM
pigiron
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gimicks

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

Well all you really need is a bow, some arrows, some camo, and yourself. You don't NEED anything else but it makes it a lot nicer to have. Thermacell works great for bugs and is nice to have around and it doesnt weigh much.
You don't even need that! But we like to give ourselves every advantage, even if its only mentally

So true... self confindence contibutes to the mental game. Having said that, some of my best bowhunting years were when I was younger. My only camo was my hat(John Deere of course), blue jeans, and a five brothers flannel shirt tucked in as to not get in the way of the draw.Usually I went right to the tree from work smelling like grease and sweat. Some nights ended with does busting me, but many were successful hunts. Successful meaning I saw deer throughout the hunt, and enjoyed myself. I killed just as many deer hunting "farmer style", as I did when bowhunting started becoming more mainstream. I to felt it was a must to have all of the bells and whistles hanging off of me to sucessfully kill a buck. There is no doubt thatcamo helps from being silloetted in the tree. I don't care what kind of scent block orcover sprays you put on. If the windconditions are wrong, chances are you'll get busted. Hunt the wind to the best of your abilities, wear some camo that's quiet, keep your hunting clothes outside in the clean air, and invest in a good pair of rubber boots. As you continue to hunt through the years, you will be the judge of what is necessity and what is not. Good luck.