HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wyoming Elk Preference Points
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Elk Preference Points

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

so you want to save points AND draw a tag every year ?

thats not the concept of DRAWING is it ?
Not really, I'm not trying to save up any points, I just want to buy one point each year to get a general tag that a resident could buy over the counter. Then use that point each year by getting drawn!I'm not trying for any special areas.

Buying a preference point without even applying for a license doesn't seem right either, but they let you do that. If they didn't have a crazy system like that to begin with I would have never thought it would be possible to draw a tag and get a preference point the same year. There is really no incentive to put in for a preference point when you apply for the license because if you don't get drawn you can always buy a preference point that summer. It's a strange system.

Wyoming seems to be at the forefront of finding new ways to get money out of folks with their "special" licenses, $50 preference points, requiring non-residents to have a guide in wilderness areas if you are hunting but not if you are just camping out, etc...

So now I'm researching other states to hunt in. Looks like there is an 85% chance I won't be going to Wyoming next year.