HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What was you SCARIEST hunting experience
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Manybeards
Fork Horn

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

I've been spooked several times for one reason or another,but only felt my life was threatened once while duck hunting. We were hunting divers on a remote island across a wide expanse of open water. It was late in the day,and we were trying to take advantage of every moment of legal shooting time since the season was quickly coming to and end. Anyway,a north easter blew in,and it started to sleet. We gathered up the spread,and put the guns away,and by that time it was good and dark. We hopped in the boat and began the crossing back to the creek and boat ramp. About midway across we took a 4 footer across the stern and it flooded out the Evinrude. Luckily,we drifted up on a point at the mouth of a large creek. No food,very little water and that was well before the advent of Cell Phones.....
We had no wood for a fire,so we huddled up on the shoreline and prepared for a long night. About 2am a Coast Guard Chopper found us,and a few minutes later we were picked up by a tactical boat. Those blankets and that hot coffee made us feel human again..... Those guys were nice enough to tow my boat the mile and a half to the ramp,and the crew chief commended us for leaving a float plan with the wives. They knew right where to look for us! Never so wet,cold and scared in all my days.........