HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent-Lok Socks
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent-Lok Socks

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well, I'm a Scent Lok basher. It's bullhockey. That said, it might not have been your feet. It can be your pack, stand, bow or whatever that stinks most. Your breath puts out more stinky molecules than anything you own. As far as your WAFFERS, they're man made chemical products. They can set a deer off in a heart beat. I know you don't want to hear that, but they're artificial. You're better off washing up, taking care of your clothing and going stinky free. Cover ups and attractants just attract attention IMO. Your best friend is the WIND.... PERIOD.
Would you mind sharing while you feel scent lok doesn't work? Especially given the power of activated carbon?
I've been through this several times on this site. I worked in an industry that used activated carbon and dealt with the activated carbon for about 30 years. Carbon does absorb and hold such things as dyes, fatty acids etc. A PORTION of those can be released(a.k.a. reactivation) but it takes more heat that can be provided by a home dryer. These stinky fatty acids and oils from the human body are "NON volitile", they do not vaporize. To release these contaminents from a garment you'd have to dump enough heat in there that the fabric would burn. All these companies were called out by the feds on their claims and that's when they came out with the college test of using "REPLICATED" human odor. Even their adds and test tell you they use a volitile replicated human odor. Sure, you saturate something with a highly volitile substance it can be vaporized out. Try putting some bacon grease or sweat or other body oils in there. They aren't coming out in you home dryer. The garment is toast after a few sweats. Besides that, vapors coming off the body follow the rules of physics. They'll take the path of least resistance which is NOT through a dot of carbon. They'll flow between the carbon dots impregnated in the garment before they'll go through them. These suits are NOT solid carbon, they're just enoug dots fused to the fabric to say they have it in there.

It's a pure snake oil con job from day one. I worked with the International Fabricare Institute for months on tests designed to improve removal of voilitle substances from carbon. These were done to try and decrease the amount of fluids and contaminents left in carbon filters. Even after hours of heat or direct steam injection it is not possible to reduce the levels as they claim. YES, if you put in a volitile "REPLICATED HUMAN ODOR" it will come right out. Unfortunately for us, human odor and body fats and acids are NOT VOLITILE. 212 degrees and direct steam injection won't make them go away.

In my opinion Scent Lok is the biggest con to ever hit the hunting industry. It's snake oil from day one. I refuse to buy a garment, a pair of boots or even a dang hanky that says Scent Lok or Blocker or any of those gimmicks. They add $50 to a pair of boots and any advantages is gone in no time. You have to realize going in that these are not solid carbon sheets, just dots impregnated on the fabric. There are more spaces than dots.