HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eurasian or Russian? Maybe Feral?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Eurasian or Russian? Maybe Feral?

I really enjoy hunting wild hogs and I enjoy talking to others about it. But I run into a lot of misunderstanding about what a wild hog really is. Even guys that hunt them often times don't really know the difference between one or the other.
Thanks for the excellent post.

In this part of OK there are a lot of Eurasian boars that owe their existence to a rich guy who brought 100 pairs from Germany and turned them loosein this county.

When a hog becomesferal at an early age a transformation takes place astime goes by. The tail becomes straight, the hips becomenarrow and thetusks may grow out, especially on the males. A couple years ago i killed a huge sow with big floppy ears:Because of herlength and number of teats i think she was an American Landrace.She was with 9 weaned pigs that weighed about 50 pounds each. That sow had tusks over 2" long, narrow hips and a straight tail. It was evident that she had been feral forsome time.Sheweighed 352 pounds field dressed despite the fact that she was not very fat.She was some good eating.