HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how do I get my broadheads flying
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Westslope

Default RE: how do I get my broadheads flying

With a properly tuned bow you CAN have any quality broadhead hitting the same point of impact (POI) as a field point. I do not agree with moving the sight for your broadheads. A broadhead that is planing in a direction often exponentially increases as the distance gets farther (might plane 2" at 20 and 3" at 30, only an example) As well a bow tuned for broadheads is much more forgiving. A tuned broadhead will also penetrate better.

Here is how I tune.

1) paper tune until I get acceptable holes with field points.
2) Get 2 broadheads and make sure they spin perfectly
3) Go to 20yrds and shoot 2 broadheads (bh) and 1 field point (fp). Note where the bh's POI hit in relation to the the fp's.
4) Move your rest in the direction you want the bh's to go towards the fp's. Say if shooting 6" right, move your rest 1/32" to the left. It is very important to move the rest in very small (1/32" or smaller) increments. Same applies to up and down. If bh's are high move the rest down. I only do one direction at a time.
5) repeat #3 and #4 until your POI's are the same.
6) Move to your maximum effective range and repeat #3 and #4 but moving your rest in even smaller increments until the POI's are the same.
7) move your sights to POI

When your doing this your fp's will also move but not as much as the broadheads.

Once you get the hang of it this method takes less than 20 minutes. Remember to move the rest in very small increments. I can't stress this enough.

Once tuned you will probably find that all most all broadheads will fly with your fp's or will be very, very close.