HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a Horse !
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 08:40 PM
ironranger
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need a Horse !

You got that right. I' ve only hunted 5 years out there thus far and managed to take home 2 bulls. Last fall I was within 100 yards of other hunters who shot bulls on two different days. Wrong place at the wrong time but that' s hunting for you. It' s definitely not easy hunting but I really enjoy the challenge. Next time, we may try a bow hunt for elk as I really feel that our area would be good. Anyone with a horse or two can get there but it keeps out the rest of them. We' ll probably rent two horses for the two of us and load up one with our gear. Then we can switch off riding and walking to our destination. Once we are there then we can both ride and hunt from there. I' m looking forward to a change of pace in hunting mulies in Montana this fall but I' m already looking forward to CO again.

Last fall we packed in an old canvas tent in with propane heat. I also have a softside cooler and use a " Seal a Meal" which allows me to cook meals in advance, fill the bags, seal them, and then freeze them. Then I just fill the cooler and put in a pound of dry ice. I take one aluminum pot and just boil water with bag in there. Then we don' t have any dishes and use paper plates. Works well considering we are usually a little under horsed. I' d like to rent one more but the price gets to be a factor so we make due with what we have.

I see you are from Centennial. I was hiking around in a wooded area in Minnesota here and found a frisbee. On the back of it, there was writing and it listed a church in Centennial, CO. I thought I might deliver it to it' s rightful owner one of these years.