HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crop Rotation
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 06:25 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crop Rotation

First, I really only want to plant a combination that will shine in hunting season, but have a clover base to be an attraction the next spring and summer, without the competition of the fall attractant still hanging around.

For me, that leaves planting a brassica/clover combo or a oats/clover combo. My local ag extension agent told me that would be a decent crop rotation for my purposes, and wouldn' t put any type of strain on my soil.

My two central fields this year are and will be planted in a brassica/clover combo(Biologic' s Premium Perennial). One field was planted in early May, the other will be planted in July with adequate moisture.

My two outside fields will be planted in a Buckforage Oats/clover combo.

I' ll plant each field once each year, and just rotate the combos, always having clover as my base.

Around my house, oats should be planted about mid-August, while I' ve had great luck with both May and mid-July plantings of brassica/clover combos. The " icing on the cake" would be Biologic' s Premium Perrenial, in which the 6 varieties of brassicas included in the mix have 3 that mature for palability early, and 3 that mature for palability late, giving you a potential brassica crop for the entire year, with a base of a 4 clover variety and chicory. We' ll see how it works with my 5/10 planting of this year.

By planting the above combos and times of year, I not only get the rotation, but I' m never tilling up more than 1/2 of all my acres at one time, so my deer can always eat well on the property and don' t have to wander too far away.

I' m always trying to squeeze in another 1/2 acre or more each year of food plot so that there are always adequate acres of food plot even if a field or two is tilled up.

Right now I' m at almost 4 3/4 acres, and I hope to be closer to 6 by the end of next year. At this point I just have to make sure I add strategically, and smart, with access, huntability, and safety areas/bedding areas in mind.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan