HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???
Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
CAelknuts
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

I'm weighing in a big late on this topic, but it's been fun reading what everyone else shoots. Over the years, I've gone back and forth between heavy and light. I've shot game as large as Alaska-Yukon Moose and Zebra with a .270 shooting 150 grain bullets, and game as small as Blacktail Deer, Pronghorns and a Klipspringer with a .338 Win Mag. The smallest caliber I've ever shot any game other than varmints, is with a .25-06, and the biggest caliber is a .470 Nitro Express. After many years and many animals, sometimes shooting big guns and sometimes shooting small guns, I now mostly just shoot 2 rifles for 90% of the time I hunt big game. If I'm not using my .338 Win Mag, I'm shooting a .264 Win Mag. I shoot 225 grain bullets in my .338, triple shocks at this point, though I love Noslers and Trophy Bonded Bullets. In the .264, I've shot 140 grain Core Lokts for years, but am now trying some 125 & 130 grain bullets,Noslers and Triple Shocks,and like them a lot. I've got a few other rifles I'm playing with a little bit these days, including a .243 and .300 Rem Ultra Mag, but when out in the field hunting, I'm usually carrying either the .338 or .264.

I'm not much ofa believer in too much gun. Dead is dead, and big guns do that very, very well if you can shoot them well.

Of course, I carry a bow more often thana rifle these days.