HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opening day in IL
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
jmbuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening day in IL

Ok, I'm back fron the first 2 days of the IL season. Saw a bunch of deer just nothing I wanted to shoot. It was gonna be a HOLY COW buck these 2 days or nothing. But I learned a lot just watching the deer I did see.

I saw a doe and 2 young ones opening morning. Then in the afternoon I sat over one of my food plots that have been getting hammered. It is Biologic Hot Spot with a wheat strip along side. The first deer came out at 2:55, a 2 year old 10 point . He made a scrape across the feild from me and walked back into the woods. Then a doe with a fawn and 2 yearling bucks come out and feed my way. They got to within 30 yards and the wind switched and they took off. After that another doe with 2 fawns fed to within 40 yards and decided to go on across the field. 2 more does came out but got spooked by a coyote in the field.

At the other end of the field I could more deer out in my other wheat plot at least 4 over there. Altogether I saw 15 deer that night.

This morning I went back out and saw 2 turkeys. No shots.

Then tonight I moved to where 7 of the deercame out last night. They decided to use the 2nd ridge down tonight. I saw 4 or 5 head into the plot. And another couple came thru the field from another direction.

This weekend I may start to thin the doe population if they cooperate.

Here are a few pics from opening evening stand.
A look around.

The 2 year old 10 point crossing the field at 3:00.

A couple yearling bucks forky and a 6 point.

Does and youggins.