HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Dirt2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

I get sucked in to this debate more than is probably healthy. My "problem" with Big Caliber Guys is that the ones I know are way way more likely to wound stuff because they use their Big Gun as a ticket to take shots they just shouldn't take. I believe a lot of these guys have a testosterone-induced need to fill their tags, so they have never seen a shot they wouldn't take.

Early in their career they start with a .270, gut shot or break the leg of 10 elk with stupid shots and decide it's the rifle's fault. So they buy a 30/06, go and wound 10 more elk with equally stupid shots, decide it's the rifles fault again, and go buy a .300 Win Mag. This process goes on and on to .300 Ultras and .338s and I'm sure we'll be seeing a .338 Ultra Mag on the market soon!

If bow hunters can discipline themselves to only take shots within the very limited capacity of their weapon, then surely a guy can use a .270 responsibly for elk, or a .243 for deer. It's all a matter of self-discipline. Without it, you will wound game consistently. Period.

My two cents worth, again!