HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What was you SCARIEST hunting experience
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
2Poppa
Fork Horn

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

'Bout twenty five years ago I had permission to hunt a farm that I had to help cut tobacco on. There were five guys who helped out and had permission also to hunt.
I only knew the son-in-law, and to make things interesting, we made the season into a "Big Buck Contest" that cost each guy twenty-five dollars to enter.

After the first couple of weeks, I soon realized that I only had hunted about one third of the farm. I ventured to the back 100 acres, and seen rubs, scrapes, everywhere ... this must be Monster Buck Territory, I thought to myself.

Later that day, I retrieved my tree stand from another location on the farm and re-located it in the midst of the scrapes and huge rubs.

I took all of the necessary precautions in regards to scent control and after getting the steps and the stand in, I immediately left the area.
The next day was going to pay off, I was sure of this.
I arrived two hours before daylight and didn't have any trouble locating the stand in darkness.

About twenty minutes after first light, my stomach started to growl. At first, I thought it was just a little indigestion. All of a sudden, my stomach was in knots and I needed to go take a dump.
I hadn't been this far back in the woods and decided I would go in the direction I hadn't been in ... quickly!

I climbed down and "ran" as fast and quietly as I could, down wind from my tree stand. I almost didn't get my huntin' pants down fast enough. As I was crouched down, I began to wonder what was causing my stomach to re-act. "Must have been the red hot Buffalo Wings from "Buffalo Bob's" the night before".

I'll spare you the details, but in my haste, I forgot to bring my back pack which had my toilet paper in it. After locating hand fulls of saw grass,with my pants down to my ankles, I was about to go back to my tree stand a couple hundred feet away, when I noticed movement in a tree about thirty yards from where I was standing.

As I looked up into the tree, I realized it was another hunter, and I must have just "messed up" his huntin' area. With all sorts of thoughts and apology's running through my head, I decided to slowly and quietly walk over to his stand.

As I got within whispering distance, I asked,"have you seen anything?"

His reply,"I saw everything!"