HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What was you SCARIEST hunting experience
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
bcward
Spike

Default RE: What was you SCARIEST hunting experience

Several years ago I used to be an avid coon hunter, which mandates being in the woods primarily at night. On one occasion I was with a couple other guys, we were listening as hard as we could to the dogs working and all of the sudden a screech owl cut loose in a tree about 10 yds away, I had never heard one before andI freaked out!(To anyone who doesn't know they sound like a woman screaming at the top of her lungs) Needless to say my buddies had a good laugh since they knew what it was. On another occasion I was by myself, the dogs were cold trailing and I had enough so I went to get them. All of the sudden they passed me in a dead run headed back towards the truck. Now I hunted with 2 blueticks a male and female, fairly large hounds so I was surprised at them running from something because I had seen them in bloody fights with many a coon. Soon I heard a blood curdeling growl about 50 or 60 yds. away, so I followed the dogs lead and hauled a@# back to the truck. I never saw what growled at me and I am fine with that! But thanks for starting this thread to spook me right before bow season opens here in Ark.