HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

I agree that a saw is not needed for butchering any animal if done right. With the "Alaskan" or "Gutless" field dressing method, the animal is not even field dressed in a normal fashion. No saw is needed as all cuts are made through the tendons holding the joints together and nosaw is needed.

As for what I have in my pack:
2 liter water bladder (I have 2, but opt to carry my water filter also to save about 3 pounds, and just fill my single bladder up as needed), extra pair of socks, gloves, and hat, poncho/emergency shelter, 50 ft 550 para cord, medications, snacks, emergency blanket, marking tape, electrical tape, TP, fire starters, Cutco knife, Wyoming knife, 2 1/2" Old timer knife with stone, Gerber tool, headlamp, compass.

I don't bother with a GPS or maps. The maps stay in the truck, and I don't have a GPS. Around here, its very simple. If you get lost, stay there, or if you need to get down in a hurry, just go down.

I wear Synthetic long underwear, and either Poly or 60/40 Cotton/Poly during the early (up tomid-October)season, and then my uninsulated duck coat for an outer shell. In the winter, lion hunting, I make sure its wool pants and shirt, and I am good to 10 below with no discomfort.

Later,

Marcial