HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default SUCCESS!!!! My buddy got this little spike on his first ever archery hunt this morning!!!

I took my buddy out for his FIRST EVER bowhunt this morning, and he was excited as all get out. But he didn't realize how exciting the morning would be. We were hunting from the ground in a pretty thick area and we bumped a couple on our way in. But I told him we needed to be patient, I got us to the spot I'd intended on setting up, and had him under a little overhang of brush that blended him in real well. We'd been sitting there not 20 minutes when a young buck (spikes not quite 3," THANK GOD!!!) meandered in. The little fella just kept walking in and in and in, my buddy was shaking and I could see him breathing as I was set up behind and to the left of him not 8-10yds away, and as the little buck finally his a clear shot lane at about 20yds, he steadied the cross-hairs and eased back on the trigger and "THHHHHHWWHHHAAAAACCKKKK!!!" Man, that arrow hit that little fella so hard it damn near put him on the ground right there. He wheeled around and and ran about 75-80yds to his deathbed. We sat there for a half-hour or so, even though I heard the little fella go down, just to see if anything else would come through, but after half an hour, we could neither on wait to go check the little fella out. He was so excited and filled with adrenaline it was amazing. He believes he is indeed "HOOKED" on bowhunting now. I assured him it doesn't always happen this easily, but knowing we both were in need of meat, I figured this spot would be sure-fire if anything would!!!!! And I was RIGHT!!!! Here's a pic, sorry, not the greatest, I didn't realize his eyes were closed. Oh, and for the record, he has a compound bow on its way, but he busted this little fella with a crossbow shooting a Barnett Quad 400 (my loaner bow that I'll let anyone that want use) and a 20" Easton 2219 arrow with a 1.75" Wasp Jak-Hammer. The shot was a slight quarter-to, and he hit him just a little forward of the right front leg, and broke the left front leg in a big way on the way out. Arrow was lodged in the deer in his left front leg and snapped off as the little guy ran by a tree and I did end up loosing a BH. What a great morning, and there's now about 50# of meat in my fridge that wasn't there yesterday. We would have gotten more meat out of him, but his shoulders and neck were a WRECK because he bled in due to that arrow be lodged like it was.