HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Time to Celebrate!
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Dirt2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Time to Celebrate!

I am back now. Packing and butchering were a job! I let him lay for two hours before I followed up with the apparent low penetration, and it was mid-70s for temperature. I normally pack them out solo, but I was really worried about preserving the meat so I tapped my brother to help me. We took the two hind quarters one day, and the fronts plus camp and head the second day. In total, 5 packs were hauled weighing from 69 to 82 pounds.

To Howler, as I understand it penetration won't really vary much with range for an arrow. I believe I may have nicked some foliage. The arrow grazed a rib on the way in, and hit the gristle and bone of the far shoulder on the way out. His left shoulder was whamming the arrow with every stride and it worked its way back out in the process. I'm using G5 Montecs and I may change heads again, as they never seem as sharp as they should be. He did bleed out and die in seconds after about an 80 yard run.

Now for pictures... I'm verging on being the technically hopeless old fart, and getting photos on to this website is beyond me. I'll try but I'm not promising anything.

Oh yeah, the meat was delicious! I'm pretty surprised at that, with my concerns and the bull being 5 1/2 y.o. But he is quite flavorful and reasonably tender.