HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: YOU KILLED, NOW WHAT?

I would first gut the deer. Have to gut it sooner or later, might as well gut it right away and save the extra weight on the drag out. If dirt/leaves get inside, fine, I'll rinse the inside out later anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'll get the deer home, hang it up andrinse out the inside of the body cavity. I'll skin the deer, including removing the head and front legs. I'll remove the right front shoulder and lower leg as one piece, put it in an ice chest with ice. I'll remove the left front shoulder and lower leg as a second piece, put it in the ice chest. I'll remove the backstraps and put them in the ice chest. I'll remove the tenderloins and save them for washing, wrapping in plastic wrap, wrapping in freezer paper, and freezing immediately. I'll remove the meat off the left and righ rib cages and put in the ice chest. I'll remove the left and right rear legs and put in the ice chest. I might need more than one ice chest for all this meat. I might be inclined to put the meat into garbage bags to keep it from being in contact with the water, but I'm just as likely to skip this step as I'm not sure there would be any benefit to it. I would then wait at least a day to complete the butchering process. I'm thinking that this would allow the meat to go through the process of rigor mortis. Additionally, I would likely be tired after the hour long drag out process.

If I had a big cooler at 40 degrees, I would wash out the deer body cavity and then dry it out well. I would then let the deer hang in there for a couple of days maybe more. But I don't have such facilities and so I would do as described above -- cut it up and get stuff on ice.

I'm sure as hell not going to leave my deer hanging out overnight at 59 degrees at the coldest. That would be a recipe for spoiled meat, I'm thinking.