HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any tips for Browning BAR?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any tips for Browning BAR?

You said that you knocked it off the bench, so I suspect that the impact may have damaged the scope or mounts. Check the mounts first to make sure they are tight and not bent or turned causing the scope to bind. If they are tight and straight then I'd guess that you damaged the scope itself. Riflescopes are precision instruments that, while designed to take a great deal of longitudinal shock (i.e. recoil), they are vunerable to damage from side or front impact. Hold the (UNLOADED) rifle with the scope by your ear and shake it. If you hear a rattle, your scope is toast for sure. But even if you don't there is a chance that the turret mechanism or one of the lenses was damaged or dislodged and every time you fire the rifle the recoil slightly shifts the position of the damaged part, causing the POI to wander. I remount the scope first (or have a gunsmith do it for you). If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd say it's time to send the scope back to Leupold to see if they'll warrantee it. If not, chalk it up to a hard lesson learned about careful gun handling and go get yourself a new scope.

Mike