HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

I started this tread as more of a tounge and cheek kinda thing,I was aiming at getting the hackles up of those who insist that we magnum guys use to much gun,can't shoot accuratly and plain are just wasting powder.
I was hoping more of you would be on me for not using ENOUGH gun for deer.I was also aiming at the crowd who says only broadside shots are the only shots.
I know in a perfect world we all use 243's and our shots are never over 100 yds and everything is broadside and die at the shot.

For those of us who know a perfect world dose not happen we choose a tool to get the job done on the worst days.

I'am not a scientist or even a very good speller(sp) but I do know a a well constructed bullet traveling at moderate speeds are good,but a BIGGER better constructed bullet traveling at FASTER speeds is even better.

I also know that a bullet that has spent all its energy through a animal and in to the far country side is great,not only have I pushed through the animal and had plenty of left over I will have a very dead animal at no matter what angle.
To me that gives peace of mind that when the time comes I don't have to worry about my equipment but only my shooting.If things can and will go wrong that only leaves me to blame,not the gun,not the scope not the binoculars or any othe piece of equipment I use.

For those that have killed elk,and doit on a seasonal basis(year after year) have traded their 270's,308's,30-06's (not that they didnt do their job) for 7mm Mags,300 Mags,338 Mags,375's and bigger.Cause maybe we have found ones that do it better.

Eveloution is always going to be a constant,if not we would all still be chucking spears and throwing rocks.

For me the 25-06 is good 30-06 is better,the .300 Win Mag is great and anything over that is PERFECT.

Thanks for your time and being part of my little experiment(sp)
BBJ