HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st bow season..any tips/help
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
jimmy28303
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1st bow season..any tips/help

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

welcome to our passion...as far as height in the tree, I get at least 20 ft, but you can go lower or higher, but 20 ft is good. The higher you are, the less chance of being seen or smelled, but it does not cancel it out completely!! As far scouting, find what, when, and where the deer are feeding. Find out out where they are bedding and get between the two. For now, just concentrate on seeing deer, that is half the battle. Once you begin seeing deer try to get in range or get them in range, either by moving the stand for the next hunt or grunting, but I advise to just simply hang your stand in the most active places and see how it pans out. If you get the opprotunity to shoot, then shoot, make sure it's not a marginal shot, broadside or slight quartering away is the best shot. Expect to shoot deer closer than you can imagine! Most people are concerned with 40-50 yd shots, but they are rare and not good unless you are a seasoned veteran. Most shots in the bowhunting woods occur from 25 yds or less. Watch your scent, watch the wind, and find areas that deer will go to eat... good luck!
This pretty much says it. as far as height. Go as high as you are comfy with. I mean, dont go 45' up a pine tree but 18 to 25 should drastically reduce your chance of getting winded or seen. Its all about trial and error when you starting out. If you get in the tree and notice that all the deer are following a path 50yds away then move your stand on the next hunt 25 yrds closer. Good luck!