HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st bow season..any tips/help
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
joker80p
Spike

Default 1st bow season..any tips/help

So this will be my first time hunting deer with a bow and i really dont know where to start. Maybe i can get a few pointers to help my season out. I will be shooting a High Country Machined Supreme and 100 grain muzzy 3 blades. I have been practicing quite a but from closer ranges. I shoot mostly 20 yards but will shoot 30 if need be. At 20 yards im capable of shooting 2 inch groups or smaller on a good day, and from 30 about 3-4 inches.
Where to start...I've been scouting the area i want to be in which is very thick and i found the tree i want to be in however i will need to clear a shooting lane as there are some branches in my path. By the way i just purchased a summit viper climber and i have been practicing with that also. So how do i go about setting things up for opening bow season on Oct 18th? What is your take on calls/scents for early bow season?
I've been told it may be kind of late to go in and prepare for hunting there but i just happened to stumble upon the area when i was squirrel hunting with my bow and there were quite a few deer in the area. I counted about 10 that where withing 50 yards of the tree i picked. Mostly does but there has been a spike, a 4 pointer, a nice 6 and a big 8 that have been around. I always see the group of does around but they move around slightly in the area.
From what i can tell by the leaves and how the ground is disturbed they are traveling this path quite often to about where my stand will be and staying in the area for a while..never going any further but taking the same trail out.

I know it may be alot to ask but im just trying to learn a little. Also what height do you usually hunt from. I know some that stay low at about 8-10 feet and some that will go as high as possible 30+. I dont think going that high is necessary but whats a good height?