HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - back from my backpack interior hunt
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
muley699

Default RE: back from my backpack interior hunt

ORIGINAL: Howler

When you say you never "had the right bull in range", does that mean you guys had set a minumum standard, or nothing? If so, what was your minumum size that you had decided on?
Sounds like fun to me. I hiked into a wilderness area here in CO. last weekend and stayed in an old cabin that someone has started actually fixing up. It was pretty sweet to get up at the crack of dawn and already be at the top of the mtn.
Our standard going in was any legal bull, but once we got in there, the dynamics of getting one out, plus the quality and quantity of the animals there, changed our goals. We don't get massive bulls here in the bitterroot, so my standard was when its big enough, I'll shoot. I pass on bulls almost every season, but in '06 it was terrible, i would have glady shot a rag-horn that year. I think that I may go back in for rifle season, but again, it will have to be a big bull before I pull the trigger.

Hurricane: The dwight Schuh day pack was a pile, frame was weak, zippers are ridiculous to operate, the hip buckle broke in half, the load dropped and yours truly was dumped into a very cold creek when my pack dropped, I was POed. The lash belts are too short, and the belt buckles kept snapping off and I would have to re-string them on.It is packaged and on it's way back to Cabelas this weekend. I'm getting a Kifuru or whatever they are called. I looked at the badlands but at 8.5lbs it's too heavy for a legitimate backcountry pack. The way i see it is my primary purpose for having the pack is to tranport loads in and out of the backcountry, so my pack must meet that critria first and foremost. camo packs are not necessary. Lightweight is very high on the priority list, with a solid frame for packing out meat. I never used the brunton stove, it was a back up, i used the jet-boil and loved it, what a godsend for the backcountry. One big mistake we made was not bringing in a collaspable water jug, we had to drop 200' every morn and nite to get creek water. I finally ended up rigging two trash-bags into my sleeping bag compression sack for camp water, unfortunately my lovely wife gave me scented trash bags, so all of our drinks tasted like flowers.[:'(] LMAO! what a trip. Additionally, that crystal light stuff was fantastic, i brought in a 32oz shaker bottle and it worked great.