HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knife Balde Makes and models.
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
pick00l
Fork Horn

Default RE: Knife Balde Makes and models.

I'm a bit late for the recommendation party but, figured a share a quick story.

Buck knives are a big tradition in my family. My Grandfather, Father, and I both have one. When I was 12 and going out hunting for the first time with a gun, I remember my brother buying me my Buck knife. It was unexpected and of course my dad bought it for my brother to give to me (Not the point). Everyone in our family still has their knives. All the folding models and actually all different. It is a tradition that you don't buy your own knife. You are given one passed down to you or you are purchased one. They are one great knife and I have skinned and whittled more sticks than deer yet, it looks as good and performs as good as day one.

At 12, I would not have know the different between a 30 dollar knife and a 300 dollar knife. I know now that a good knife is a big deal to a young kid. An important point in their life. I think it is great that regardless of the cost or model, you purchased a gift and your proud of it. They will love it as well, I'm sure.

One reminder. I have almost lost or thought I lost my knife 2 dozen times over the years. At no point did I worry about the cost or money involved. I worried about the memories and gift that it was and still is. I hope it becomes the same way for them. If it does get misplaced, go easy on them... because it is not about the cost of the knife.