HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting does with fawns?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

A "fawn" is a fawn (deer born, this year). It becomes a "yearling" in January (look up the definition). I ONLY point this out for clarification. What you guys call your "this year's deer" is of no concern of mine.

Here's a returnemail I got from our NCWRC wildlife biologist....addressing this veryissue. I asked this question a while back. It's important to note that our season begins, here, in early September.

Mr. Venable,

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris