HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tough Night tonite
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Schultzy
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tough Night tonite

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hunting in 80+ degree temperatures where the low at night is only in the 60's, I'd say the meat would be spoiled by the time you recovered the animal. even so, its always better on the conscience when you can lay your eyes on the animal and know for sure it died.
I recovered a doe last fall after she laid all night in 50's temps. She ate just fine.

I'd like to hear from someone knowledgeable about spoiling meat....and maybe learn something constructive from this post.
I've also recovered deer that layed all night dead via gut shots in 70 and 80 degree temps and they too were fine. The thing Is once you find them the next day you have to get on the ball and get It quartered out and butchered right away.

It can be done, trust me! Another prime example Is when were bear hunting. Allot of times the temps are 80 some degree's during the day and 60 and 70 degree's at night and we've let many bear go till the next morning before tracking being we were unsure of the shot placement. Bear have 100 times the fat of a deer, there hides are insulators and we've never lost a bear due to It being to warm. We've lost bear meat due to carelessness and not getting It quartered and skinned out when we should of. Next time let It go over night, It will be fine. Good luck on the next blood trail!!