HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger rifle opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger rifle opinions

ORIGINAL: Jacob Garrett

I got a NIB 77 synthetic, stainless, 270 short mag. and I will NEVER buy another Ruger. I went thru 3 sets of rings, 3 scopes(2 leupold,1 burris), and a dozen trips to the gun shop and it still shot like crap. The gun shop sent the gun off twice and the Ruger service guys said it was acceptable. The gun wouldn't put 3 shots on a paper plate at 100yds out of a vice. The Ruger guys kept saying it was the rings, then the scope till the shop owner informed themhe shot the gun after heinstalled 3 sets of rings with 3 different scopes and the gun still wouldn't shoot straight. The store owner gave me my money back and I bought a Rem.700 300 Win. mag from him that will put 3 under an inch at 100yds The store owner adjusted the trigger for free for all the trouble with the Ruger. I know there is a chance of getting a lemon with anything but when Ruger refused to fix it and said it was acceptable that was the end of Ruger for me. If a 3 shot group of 8 inches is acceptable I don't know what it would take to be unacceptable but Ruger wouldNOT stand behind there product at all.
Sorry you've had such a bad experience with the Ruger 77. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, and have never experienced what you went through. That would be enough to put a bad taste in anyone's mouth.
One of the best shooting .270's with factory ammo I had was a bone-stock 77. Kind of wish I still owned that gun today
Guess what I want to say is yes, you're right....it's possible to get a lemon with almost anything, but the "customer service" you received was just totally unacceptable. No doubt about it.