HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Well I gave into the pressure and bought a saw today. Just to make sclwald happy it is a Gerber! (That's the onlyone they had at Gander Mountain)

It's the Gator I collapsable saw and comes with a nifty little pack and has a wood and bone blade. It is fairly heavy compared to all the other stuff on my list (like my first aid kit, trash bags, zip ties, etc. but I'll have it with me just in case. I did a trial run loading my backpack last night and I had a TON of room and it was quite a bit lighter than I expected.I also have a saw in my outdoor edge butcher set, but I'm not planning on taking that with me in my pack and I never felt that it was a very good saw. I think you use more energy sawing through the bone than working the joints with a knife. If I get one on the ground I'll try to work the joints with a knife first and if it is more work than I think it will be I'll go with the saw.

I do take the tenderloins but not the ribs. It is very easy to get them out without gutting the animal. You just stand behind it and reach right in and cut them out after you cut the backstraps off. On a deer or pig you can almost pull them out by hand without a knife but I usually end up cutting them to keep them from tearing.

The only thing mentioned so far that I don't have is iodine tablets. My friend said he had some though so I'll just get some from him.

The extended weather forecast is showing 70 degrees for a high with isolated thunderstorms for opening day with a low of 35. It is showing it getting a little cooler toward the start of next week with slight chance of snow showers each night. Hopefully they will be moving and talking!!