HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting started
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Chris_H
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: getting started

ORIGINAL: jstep89

hi im new to this forum and new to hunting. this will be my first year duck/goose hunting. soon i am going to be purchasing abenelli nova pump in camo. im debating on what ammo to use though. i thought of the kent fasteel but since im a new shooter, i dont want to waste the expensive ammo before i become a better shooter. any suggestions on what to use?
Jstep... faststeels cost from like $12-18 a box. Winchesters cost $15, and the federals cost around $18 (in my neck of the woods). Right now it just depends on you're experiences with the shells. Buy different boxes of shells every time you go to get more, and you'll find out which ones suit which situation the best.

As for the gun, I personally like the 870. I've never had one fail, jam, or rust Although i baby my guns when it comes to keeping them in good condition. I just like the way that the 870 feels. But, i think that the action is alot smoother on the benelli nova pump. The 870 3.5" is probably gonna cost around $350.00. The benelli 3.5 is gonna costa lil more. Just research both so you can make a good choice.

*BTW, about your camo question, the answer is no. No you don't need a camoed gun to duck hunt. People have been hunting with blued barrels and oak stocks for a very long time. I have an 11-87 black/synthetic. And can kill just as many ducks as if it was camo. That being said, I want to get mine camoed out just because it looks cool, probably doesn't rust as much, and i have money to spend.