HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Playing the wind..a different view
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Playing the wind..a different view

Well, I hate to break it to this guy, but it isn't his theory. Many of us that have hunted suburbia figured this out 25 years ago. Just get a little altitude and they'll pass by. Oh, once in a while one turns tail, but mostly they just get edgy, smell, look around and tense up. After a few minutes of not finding the source or maybe a car drives by or a bicycle yuppie out on the street goes by, they'll relax. I guess I really figured it out when I started bowhunting the Adirondacks every year 30 years ago. You get back in the woods in country, away from farms and crops... well buddy they better not smell you. They won't even stand around to find the source. They'll do an about face and put 100 yards between you and them before they settle and slink away into Never Never Land. Same thing goes for country where there's a lot of logging going on. I still laugh at the one club I was in in Georgia. They clear cut a Section every year for 3 or 4 years in a row. Guys in the club used to almost fight over who was going to sit in the chopper when they shut down for the day. Gas, oil, smoke, tobacco.... whatever, the deer were used to it day after day and it didn't bother them. They'd flood to the most recent cut area to feed on all the acorns knocked down and tree tops they couldn't otherwise have reached. In farm country you can smell like a diesel engine and get away with it. In farm country you can smell like cow poop(which I've used for a cover scent) and get away with it. In yuppie land where they stand and watch joggers, bikers, kids and dogs everyday.... there isn't a lot of worry about odor if you're 20 feet up.

Some of the guys theorys are geographically misplaced. Suburbia deer don't make a circuit every 3 days. Usually they make the same circuit 2 times a day. They don't have a lot of choices. Deer are so plentiful they don't need to troll for does. All they have to do is get out of bed. You go to the deep Adirondacks and the deer may never get back to point A. They're really nomadic at times.