HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Playing the wind..a different view
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
RobinAim Low

Default RE: Playing the wind..a different view

All I can comment on is my experience. My experience in urban settings is that each and every time, the deer most definitely DID pay attention if they winded me. It took very little time for me to figure out that no matter how close quarters I was hunting in, I better pay attn to the wind. This included hunts that took place with apartments 40 yards in one direction (complete with folks on their decks smoking, talking on the phone, etc.) and houses 45 yards in the opposite direction. I can't explain it, but the fact is that I watched deer pay no attention to homeowners in their yards but turn inside out if they crossed my scent path (air borne or ground surface). I am also a firm believer that suburban deer can pick up the difference in attitude/demeanor of hunters as compared to homeowners. This is why the same deer that stand around and watch my landowners try to run them off will book as soon as I attempt to get close for a shot.

The farm that I hunt the most often has the farmer checking his fence once a day every day, pretty much takes him around the entire farm. Let's just say those deer may know him, but they don't know me.