HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recoil Management Training..
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recoil Management Training..

Maybe I don't understand the question. If you are just looking to build your body up to be able to withstand heavy recoil then work out in the gym and shoota bunch of the cheapest magnum ammo you can find. Have someone punch you in theshoulder a bunch of times in a row.

If you want to shoot a largecaliber rifle as accurately as possible then I think you want to focuselsewhere.

The loaded or not demonstration isn't really an issue of saying "don't flinch, don't flinch, don't flinch". It is saying, focus on the trigger pull and clear your mind. Don't worry about the recoil.

Another trick that I use is shooting .17HMR and .22LR and concentrating on continuing to look at the target through the scope as I pull the trigger and trying to see where the bullet hits. This is really enjoyable with prarrie dogs as you can watchthrough the scope as the bullethits them. With the recoil of a larger gun I don't seem to be able to hold myself or the gun still enough to keep looking through the scope after the gun goes off, but I think it helps train you to keep your eye open and not flinch.

I do think the limbsaver recoil pads and a rifle that fits you well are very helpful in felt recoil as well.