HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First day luck for me!!
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
WesternMdHardwoods
Nontypical Buck

Default First day luck for me!!

I got in my tree at about 6:10 hunting a very thick area where my farthest clear vision is roughly 35 yrds! I catch a deer working the edge of a thicket heading in an opposite direction of me when another deer comes in heading my way! I have said before we do not have much horn potential for western Md and when I saw this guy come in I knew he would probably be one of the biggest I would get a crack at this year. He came in at around 25 yrds head on and turns broadside(or so i thought), but he was quartering to a bit. I draw, settle the pin, release watch my Tracer Nock hit its mark beautifully but the arrow did not go through the deer?? This is the first I havent had a complete pass through, but proved myself wrong when I got down to find all but the last 5-6inches of my arrow broke off 5yrds from point of entry!
I pick the arrow up and find GUTS.....??? I know I hit good?? Or did I??
I gave him until 9:30-10:00 and then me and my brother and a buddy begin the search! There is no blood, NONE!! We begin to try and find the best route that he would have taken and get ahead and see if he would then begin bleeding after a short run!?! It turns out he ran 100-125 yrds and actually laid up not 75yrds behind my brother!!! He actually had a doe and two lil ones around him when I shot and said that shortly afterI shot, the three deer spooked and ran away! All I can say is that its a good thing thatthose deer were there to give up a little hint because the deer did not bleed for probably the first 90yrds!!!!!
I hit perfect behind the shoulder but the arrow came out low and got blocked up with its guts, but none the lesswe found the deer!
I could'nt be happier this is the largest buck Ihave shot and would do it again!!

The entry was perfect behind shoulder a touch high and the exit is under my sight.. angled MUCH MUCH harder then I ever thought!!