HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow too heavy??
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
whitetailbowhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow too heavy??

ORIGINAL: 320fpsmathews

all the down-range kinetic energy,weight, or penetration capabilities are worth a hill of beans if the buck jumps the string of your slowpoke[:'(] 240fps bow and is in the next county when your 500+gr. log of an arrow finally gets there!!! my 74 lb. switchback xt drives 27" maxima 350's(2"blazers,100gr.tips) which weigh 368gr(a hair under 5gr/inch)I've probably shot 4000 arrows with NO troubles!!!the bow sports a five pin sight with which I can ,with equal ease,hita six inch ring at twenty or sixty yards!! let's see a 54lb. bow with a 500 gr. arrow do that!as for penetration,all four deer I killed last year(two bucks,two does)were clean pass through shots.and none came close to jumping the string!!even at 40 yards!!!!! heavier arrows may be able to "shoot through a dodge engine" but an engine doesn't have the reflexes of a 5yr. old whitetail buck!!!! the new parallel limb bows have much less limb travel and tons more built in vibe absorb than older bow designs,therefore can withstand lighter arrows without damage.shoot a mathews,then we'll talk

320fpsmathews,

I shoot a 480 gr arrow right around 270 fps. In my books that ain't bad for a log! My bow is whisper quiet, I thought my bo was quiet before. Well it's even more now, I thought it didn't have any recoil, well it sure as heck doesn't now!! Penetration is really nice, and my arrows fly so much nicer. I'm not afraid of the deer jumping the string cause they wont hear it. For hunting, I wouldn't have it any other way. If you haven't shot a heavy arrow, you need to try it.