HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY Pistol Permit?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
SPIKEHORN11
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Pistol Permit?

I believe your county is like Onondaga where concealed carry is very very hard to come by.

You fill out the application and turn it in with your class certification. They take your fingerprints and then process everything. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months. After 6 months they legally have to give you a reason why its taking so long.

Now they can and most likely will place a *sportsman* restriction on it. There is also a employment,security and posses on premises. In Onondaga County you can only carry for hunting,fishing,hiking in remote areas,trapping and at the shooting range with a *sportsman*. When you transport it you have to have a trigger lock on it separate from the ammo. In Oswego I believe that its allowed to carry concealed to and from those activities.

Every County has a different set of rules.

Now when you buy a pistol you get a receipt from the place where you bought it from. you take that to the clerk or Sheriff's Dept that handles it in your county. They then check the receipt and adds the gun to your permit and gives you a green coupon. You take the coupon and your permit back to where you bought it from and pick up your gun.

If you buy or are given a gun you must have a receipt and get it notarized and go through the same steps as above. Its easier if both of you go there and do it in person.

Now from what people have told me in Oswego County the Judge has t approve every gun that goes on your permit. I was also told that he takes his time. Maybe its not true but just what others have told me.

Any other questions let me know.