HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM
shdwlkr

Default RE: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

I found this interesting how many use two of the rifles I would use which are the 270 and 30-06. But now I have other questions and they are how many elk have been taken with each caliber and at what rang, with what length of barrel and what bullet weight. Not to interested in the powder charge as that is a function of the caliber being used as is the barrel length but it also indicates the relative energy the bullet is carrying to the game. Not that it means a hill of beans but I like the longer barreled firearms and just interested what direction the real world of hunters has gone. Even without seeing anything I would bet that most are shooting 22 inch barrels or less and using a larger caliber. My rifles that I would use if I get a chance have at least a 24 inch barrel and go up to 28 inches. thanks for the information if you can find out. You will be helping me to narrow down which rifle I should take if I get a chance to go elk hunting. I will only be cow elk hunting as I am a meat hunter and horns don't mean a thing to me as I can't eat them anyway.