HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 PM
bigmossy
Spike

Default RE: Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?

Thanks for the responses so far. I can see that some of you weren't quite sure where I was comin' from with some of the questions. I'll explain.
I just came out of a bad relationship with "modern" slug shotguns. I'd used the old smooth bore/slugs in the past but never did any bench shooting with them. When I tried my new, modern slug guns off the bench, shooting them like a light riflemy groups were erratic with quite a few flyers.After wasting alot of money on very expensive ammo (I'm talkinga couple of buck$+per $hot) I learned thata big part of the problem was my shooting technique. Because with those 250gr saboted bullets traveling at around 1800fps (same as muzzleloader) the gun would begin to recoil before bullet actually left the barrel.It seemed that I should have been using a firmer hold on the gun to produce better groups instead of shooting it like my .22LR. The lead-sled added to the problem because it caused me to hold the gun even looser; basically putting the crosshairs on the target and gently squeezing the trigger and letting the gun jump and the sled take the recoil.

Anyhow, I traded in my slug guns for muzzleloaders after the first time I tried them and haven't looked back. Some of the things that would seem to parallel each other between the slug guns and muzzleloaders don't seem to add up and I'm trying to figure them out.