HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?

The techniques I use to shoot black powder are basically the same as with a modern rifle.

But to recap, address the rifle the same way each and every time. I mean have your cheek on the same part of the stock, your grip should be firm but not tight. And maintain and concentrate on your sight picture. Try to be the same as always each and every time.

I like to have the butt in the same part of the shoulder each and every time firmly. And where the rifles rests on your shooting bags, bench, what ever, have it there the same each and every time. Are you aware that some rifles shoot worse if you rest the barrel of the rifle on the rest, VS resting the stock of the rifle on rest.

Also when I set my finger on the trigger I try to shoot with the end of the finger and apply pressure so gradual as I maintain sight picture that the ignition is actually a surprise when it happens.

Last, shoot through the shot. I mean when the rifle fires, the shot is not over. Look through the shot/smoke. I actually try to feel the rifle fire, view the projectile hit the target, etc... Look through the entire shot. All to often people feel the rifle kick, and break their shot concentration and move out of the shot. Hold through that fire.

As for a lead sled, I have no experience with it. I use a simple Caldwell rest. As for the recoil before the projectile leaves the barrel, I could not say. And to me that is not important as I shoot through the shot. As for the feel of the recoil, it is more of a push then a kick.. maybe that is what you are feeling as well.

This is how I shoot. Whether it works for you I could not say.