HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Muzzleloader shooting techniques ?

bigmossy

I'm shooting a modern inline.50 calgenerally with250grain saboted bullets.
Excellent choice of bullet weight for deer - a very good weight out to 175 yards... If you are planning shots longer than that you might want to consider a 300... do not get me wrong the 250 will do the job for greater distances than 175 - but you will probably get more penetration from a 300gr. with the extra energy it carries.

Is there a point where the gun caliber and/or bullet weight or powder chargenecessitate a shift in technique from more of a "light rifle" technique (loose, light hold) to a "magnum rifle" technique (hard, firm hold)?
I am not quite sure what you might be asking here it seems to me the hold I take on the rifle is the same whether I am shooting 90 grains or 120 grains... My rear hand always has a firm with the rifle pulled back in my shoulder... the front hand does not have a tight hold at all.

Does any recoil occur in muzzleloaders before the bullet leaves the barrel?
It would occur to me that the recoil starts and the rifle starts moving back as the ignition starts to move the projectile. Remember, black powder and most subs reach peak pressure very rapidly... and in fact in some cases the bullet may be actually slowingdown before reaches the muzzle depending onpowder charge and type. All that said when the bullet leaves the muzzle there is recoil as the pressure is relieved.

Is it OK to use a lead sled when shooting a muzzleloader?
I personally do not use the lead sled and have no interest in using one - but a lot of people do. If you use a lead sled, be reasonable about the amount of lead you put on the lead - it is not designed to absorb all the recoil... it will but it might be hard on your equipment.

Why does the recoil from a muzzleloader, shooting a bullet of the same weight at the same speed of a rifled shotgun, feel considerably less?
Most of it in the weight of each gun.. shotguns are normally on the light side while ML's are mostly on the heavier side. But, I know what you mean shooting a healthly load in my ML is pleasent as compared to a 3 1/2 Turkey load from my Remington 870. For me there is less percieved recoil from ML than from my 300 Winchester Mag.

Just my side of the story - others will surely follow....