HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Rifle Loony

Default RE: Go ahead, brag on your Savage.......

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

Rifle Looney help me try and follow the premise of this post. You make an anti Savagechallenge

Wondering where the "outta the box boys" are......
and then you post a group from a Remington that apparently is not an out of the box rifle. Is that correct or am I missing something?
You are onlypartly right, but you are probably getting used to that by now........

The rifle is not out of the box original, true.

BUT, when comparing the parts that count understand that the antiRemingtonCrowd's biggest leg to stand on,is barrel and trigger.

This riflehas abone stock action, and has only been lapped at the lugs, nothing more than what a bunch of years of cranking the bolt would have done.

This rifle has a bone stock trigger, X Mark Pro, IMHO the best factory trigger on the planet...and has been adjusted to 1 1/4 pounds.

This rifle has a factory barrel, set back one turn and punched AI. Not "stock", true due to the chambering, but it's still in the same 20 inch configuration it was bought as and the rifling/crown itself is no more no less than factory issued. It was punched AI for one reason...to achieve normal .243 velocities or betterin a shorter than normalbarrel. Which it does, 3200+ fps with 85/87 grain bullets.

A rifle stock is a rifle stock, and since this rifle was purchased as a youth model just to get the barrel and action, best bang for the buck...the stock was needing replaced with an adult sized handle. Since I bed everything I own anyway it was only natural to bed this barreled action into a McMillan. Too bad every rifle sold doesn't already come on a McMillan, but a few Remmy's do andSavages don't. The group above was fired with a pressure point in placejust as if it came from the factory.

A rifle needs good mounts and good glass, and if thattakes it out of your realm of "factory" just becauseit wears a Leupy and set of Talley LW's then sobe it....ride yourBushnell/Weaver combofull speed ahead.

The point of this post was not to say that Savages don't shoot well, it was to say that the factory Remmy action/barrel/trigger assembly DOES shoot....something I hearis impossible from many Savage guys.

I should add that I credit the accuracy of this rifle not soley to the action/barrel/trigger, but rather to the fact that the handloads are absolutely consentric. Well preparedquality brass, exact weighed powder charges, and a good bullet all contribute more than the rifle itself.

I would imagine that many of the Anti Remington people, many of which are Savage Fanatics judge things on far less and wouldn't know the difference anyway.

My point was, to those undecidedsitting on the fence, is thatyou CAN get a Remington to shoot, and I've done much the same with factory Remmy's with far less mods than this one has............

edit spelling