HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa Game Comm. Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I’m going to briefly summarize based on my kind of diverse, but admittedly ignorant views. I also didn’t read the entire thread, some of what I say may have been touched on.

I wish the PGC & PAFBC & the DCNR were one unit.
As a single entity, I believe resources (people & bureaucratic) could be more wisely used.

From the gamelands I’ve been to, I think the habitat on them is great. Very diverse and a job well done.
The state forests and ANF areas that I’ve been to however are nothing but huge stands of very mature forests, with little to no browse or other food supplies. I’m not a forester but it appears that more logging could be done. Maybe go from 1% to 3%? I see all the selective cuts done around my hunting areas and I see how nice the habitat is. If the forestry guys say this is as good as it gets, I have to accept that & just live with few deer in vast areas of the state that have poor habitat.

I think getting rid of our archaic licensing system should be top priority. Cut out the treasurers and all this protocol and institute a POS system where your license is like a register receipt like many other states. REQUIRE a mailed in or phone call harvest report, or you cannot purchase your license the following year. Fail to report once & get a warning, twice and you get hammered with a huge fine, & loss of license.

I’m all for a license increase IF other criteria is met. I want to see the Dept running as efficiently as possible first. No license increase to pay for a mismanaged organization. By merging groups, stream lining license sales etc, money could be better utilized. Then make a large effort to properly staff the wardens(which should now be easier since you have fish & dcnr people out patrolling) Poaching is a rampant & socially acceptable problem here in PA and needs to be curtailed.

The only regulation issue I will get into is the fines for poaching should be dramatically increased and trespass laws strictly enforced, but breaking up the “good ol boy” system will be very tough. Loss of license does nothing to someone who is already illegally taking game. Jail time & huge fines will get their attention.
Rybo pretty much hit it dead nuts.

I would only add a few things....

Something would need to be put in place to keep anti's off the BOC. The only thing that has kept that from happening so far is the fact that we are a political force when angered and no governer has had an interest in pissing off the hunters of this state. If DCNR were to be merged in with the PGC and PFBC, there could be a real danger of the fanatic tree hugger types having a voice about game and fish management.

Everyone could benefit fromsmaller management units in some parts of the state.